• Announcements

• Joelf

Upgraded Sclero Forums!   05/18/2017

Welcome to the Upgraded and Redesigned Sclero Forums!!   Our Forums are even better and more up to date than before.   Happy Posting to all our Members!!
Jeannie McClelland

Maybe a dumb question on Raynaud's

30 posts in this topic

Hi Betty,

The only things I take are niacin (not inositol which is the flush-free kind) and aspirin, as recommended by my rheumatologist. I have to admit that I rarely take the aspirin because I don't want to increase my tendency for bruising/bleeding. I think the niacin does help, but you ought to talk to your doctor about that and the best dosage. Too much can be pretty toxic. Here's a link to the Medline Plus page on niacin.

Mostly I try to prevent attacks and am planning on trying the ready-cooked chicken section of our local grocer's tomorrow!!

Warm hugs,

Jeannie McClelland

(Retired) ISN Director of Support Services

(Retired) ISN Sclero Forums Manager

(Retired) ISN Blog Manager

(Retired) ISN Assistant News Guide

(Retired) ISN Artist

International Scleroderma Network

On a positive note...

I went to a new doctor and when Raynaud's was mentioned it was easy to show her. I took off one shoe and sock and said it won't take long. In less than a minute walla...there it was. We could watch the whole process.

My feet are most problematic. I always wear socks, not always wear shoes (at home of course), but got to have those socks.

Betty

Hi all, I 'm interested by the different approaches of everyone doctors to Raynaud's prevention and the need to take medication. I was reluctant to take medication for it , but my rheumatologist takes the view that each attack causes damage and that what we can see in the hands and feet is also happening in the lungs and heart and therefore we need to reduce the numbers of attacks if at all possible. I tried and rejected 5 different medications before finding one that I can tolerate (Losartan).

Lizzie

Hi Everyone,

I am at a loss to understand why Gareth only gets white hands/fingers when he gets into the warm shower. He likes the water on the warm/hot side so I know it's not because he's cold. You would think he'd turn white getting out of the shower, but he turns white while in the shower!!!

Take care, Everyone.

Margaret

Hi Margaret,

I'm not surprised that he gets attacks of Raynaud's while showering.

As I understand it, any excessive temperature change can induce an attack of Raynaud's. Too hot or too cold can induce vasospasms.

I have to be careful to keep temperatures more neutral. Of course, whatever we are doing at the moment can be a clue for our triggers for Raynaud's. Attacks can be caused by cold, heat, even vibrations. A lot of construction workers get Raynaud's when they are using power tools. I even have to be careful when using electric barber clippers, taking a few short breaks is enough for me to be able to trim hair but not get a bonus attack of Raynaud's. See our section on What is Raynaud's?.

Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz

Founder and President

International Scleroderma Network (ISN)

Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.