Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Patty Arche-Hueck

Question on scleroderma affecting the intestines

4 posts in this topic

Hi anyone, how do you know the scleroderma is affecting your intestine? What are the symptoms? And which tests must be done?

Hi Patty,

We have a section on Bowel Involvement (which includes the intestines) on our main site. I have the typical pattern of alternating constipation and diarrhea, lots of gas, bloating, and so on. Because we already knew my esophagus was involved, it was a pretty fair guess that my problems are caused by scleroderma. I did have a colonoscopy, just to be on the safe side. Since I responded well to a couple of medications, no other tests were done until yesterday when I had a blood draw done to test for Celiac Disease which often goes hand-in-hand with the Irritable Bowel Syndrome that I have developed in the last several months.

I've got a great GI doctor and when he prescribes a medication, I take it. He has't steered me wrong yet. I find watching my diet also helpful. Certain foods seem to make my symptoms worse, so I tend to avoid them. I kind of went crazy once I had a fundoplication and GERD was no longer a problem - eating lots of spicy things and drinking coffee again. Hmmm, not such a good idea. :barf:

Jeannie McClelland

(Retired) ISN Director of Support Services

(Retired) ISN Sclero Forums Manager

(Retired) ISN Blog Manager

(Retired) ISN Assistant News Guide

(Retired) ISN Artist

International Scleroderma Network

I have IBS due to the fibromalgia,and some muscle relaxers. Anyways, I am eating with water now, and the doctor is monitoring this. My diet is very good usually. So far my rheumatologist has no problem with my eating, and I have no bloating, but I am worried about the constipation.