Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CraigR

Vitamin D: modulator of the immune system

2 posts in this topic

Vitamin D: modulator of the immune system. Several epidemiological studies have linked inadequate vitamin D levels to a higher susceptibility of immune-mediated disorders, including chronic infections and autoimmune diseases. Baeke F. (PubMed) Curr Opin Pharmacol. 2010 Aug;10(4):482-96. (Also see:Vitamin D and Autoimmunity)

This item was posted in the ISN Newsroom. Please check the newsroom daily for updates on scleroderma and other related articles.

Craig Roothoff

ISN Assistant News Guide

International Scleroderma Network(ISN)

This is so interesting to me. When I first saw a rheumatologist, who diagnosed CREST two years ago, she checked my Vitamin D levels and they were below acceptable levels. I took a prescription of 50,000 IU per week for 8 weeks then another 4 weeks when a blood test still showed it low.

I continued taking about 5-6000 IU per day after that even though some doctors said I needed to reduce it as it could be dangerous. But if I did, my joints hurt so bad that I upped it again. 5000 IU okay - 4000 IU not okay.

My blood tests for the total D levels were okay but the ones for the 25-hydroxy only slowly crept up into normal levels.