Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

information please

3 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone


I would like to ask if any of you (those who live in the UK) about work and benefits, what you can claim if you can no longer keep working.


I have LIMITED/CREST, I work 16hrs per week. It is quite labour intensive, I'm on my feet 7hrs per day and it involves a lot of manual handling. I currently work as an assistant manager at a local hospice.


I am finding that due to the disease and all the medications I take, work more difficult to maintain, my employers are pretty fair with me but, I personally feel that I'm becoming less able to keep going and feeling stressed that I can't do what I used to! I enjoy the work and realise staying in work is a good thing.


What do we do though when the body will not let us continue? In these difficult times a wage really matters to keep a household going.


As it stands at the moment, I'm unable to give up work due to financial reasons, as my son is at university and my husband isn't a high wage earner but we can't claim working tax credit as he earns over the minimal requirement to qualify. I receive D.L.A. (disability living allowance)


If any of you are in the same position and had to re-think work and claimed or are claiming a benefit, I would be glad to hear any advice you can give me please.




Lynn x

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Lynnie


The transition from working to claiming benefits can be a difficult but necessary one. I was given ill health retirement back in 2008 which enabled me to receive my occupational pension at the age of 40 and also receive incapacity benefit (now employment and support allowance) and disability living allowance.


Have a look at the government website for information about benefits which includes a benefits advisor that you can complete online alternatively ring the benefit enquiry line on 0800 882 200.


If you are getting to the point where working is becoming more and more difficult is ill health retirement something you can consider? It may be worth speaking to the CAB (citizens advice bureau) for more information about this.


Keep us informed and take care.

Amanda Thorpe

ISN Sclero Forums Senior Support Specialist

ISN Video Presentations Manager

ISN Blogger

(Retired) ISN Sclero Forums Assistant Manager

(Retired) ISN Email Support Specialist

International Scleroderma Network (ISN)

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Lynn


I'm so sorry to read your post.


I can understand how frustrated you must feel not being able to do the job you enjoy as well as you would like. It's almost a chicken and egg situation; you're feeling stressed because you can't cope with doing the job as you used be able to and not being able to do it is making the stress much worse! That's not going to help your Scleroderma either! :emoticon-hug:


Unfortunately I don't really know much about the benefits to which you might be entitled but Amanda has given you a very useful website and enquiry line which I hope you'll find useful.


Do please let us know how you get on. :)

Jo Frowde

ISN Assistant Webmaster

SD World Webmaster

ISN Sclero Forums Manager

ISN News Manager

ISN Hotline Support Specialist

International Scleroderma Network (ISN)

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0