Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jeannie McClelland

If you had to start a new hobby this month, what would it be?

45 posts in this topic

I work fulltime and have few ( well to be honest, no) hobbies - evenings consist of cooking a meal and slumping in front of the TV. Weekends are not much better- shopping, cleaning and sometimes make the effort to see friends/go to the cinema or theatre. I decided I really should get a life while I could, so have just started doing a class in mosaic. I'm really enjoying doing something creative, although clearly have a long way to go until I reach the 100 hobbies/interests recommended. Next I intend to enrol in a Zumba class-looks such fun.

Lizzie

I am just amazed at what all of you are able to do with your lives beyond this disease!

I always had a lot of hobbies. Besides teaching art to little kids, a VERY active job, I dabbled in many artistic areas on my own. I was primarily a painter and potter. I truly loved working with clay and dreamed of making it may career but became a teacher, allowing me to share my love of art with others. I painted in watercolors, I guess you would call it impressionistic, but about 12 years ago switched to large abstract acrylics. I've woven baskets, done needle point, sewed, and dabbled in knitting and crocheting. Problem is I hate to follow directions so many of those things just don't work for me. I took metals classes and fabricated and cast pieces in silver, not being able to set up a personal studio or continue classes I turned to beading jewelry. I became interested in the computer and made multi-media presentations for my students. I loved taking pictures and dabbled with Photoshop. I was very active, running and swimming in the ocean, walking the beach for miles and then...

WHAM, BAM, SCLERODERMA!!! and kidney failure. Over a period of six months my life slowed down and then suddenly stopped. For almost six years I did very little but go to dialysis and sit around. I tried beading but dropped more beads than I got onto the pins. I really had no desire to paint. I used the computer, but mostly for communicating and research.

Feeling MUCH better almost a year post kidney transplant I volunteer for a non-profit, am their Public Relations coordinator, and am using my creative skills again, but in a different capacity, all on the computer. I am back to photography and creating presentations and am just getting interested in video. Tomorrow I have my first workshop in this. My hands greatly limit me as to what I can do, but fortunately, I am still able to handle a keyboard and mouse. I can no longer hold a large camera, but things are so small today I can manage those. I "try" to do the eNewslettter for ISN, but cannot do the html so what you receive is really a little done by me and a LOT done by Shelley (thanks, Shelley!)

I never gave up the beach and although I can't walk or swim anymore, I enjoy my time there. We are renovating our townhouse right now and I have created a ton of stuff that is all over the place. So my question is, what do you do with the stuff? I love it and it is special to me but I have also collected and my husband is an artist as well so every bit of wall, floor and counter space is taken. :rolleyes:

miocean

ISN Artist

I found some glass beads in my china hutch that I bought at a garage sale 10 years ago. Although it is sometimes challenging to make my hands and eyes work to get those tiny little things strung, I am finding it a relaxing and satisfying hobby. Only problem - I am running out of beads and am wanting to go to the bead store.....danger! danger! It's one of those places you can't visit without wanting everything in there and I cannot afford anything!

However, I have plenty of photographs waiting for me to organize, frame, make cards and collages of, and give away to friends and family. Once I get started on that I am lost for days in memories of years long past.

Thanks for this post Shelley. Now I am wanting to go spend some ME time on MY stuff. (but it will have to wait until after SUPERBOWL BABY!!!

GO PACKERS!!!!!)

Take care,

Barefut

Serena Justis

ISN Blogger

International Scleroderma Network (ISN)

Hi Jean,

Hi to a fellow mandolin player. That is how I picked my username. I was playing mando rather than fiddle because of shoulder surgery.

Cake decorating is very fun, but also hard on the hands and wrists. Make sure you don't overfill the pastry bags or you make it much harder than it needs to be! I took a cake decorating class for caterers just for fun and I really enjoyed the decorating, not the other people in the class so much. Thank goodness there were two women from Tijuana Mexico taking the class and we got along fabulously.

I still play Mando. With Jeannie, myself, and you we could put together a sclero session... Virtually or by skype. Right now, the foreign exchange student we are hosting is using the web cam, so that has to wait a while.

Lori - aka Mando

Hi Everyone :happy-day: to all!

I love to read and lose myself in the story! espeacially if its a "poor" day :VeryHappy: i can finish a book in a day if I really get into it..total escape from the rigors of the day.

I love being around people, friends and my work at the local hospice as a manager 2 days a week, its puts things in place when I see people a whole lot worse off than me,and what I do and the care I give is humbling and gives me a help up to not be down and do the "woe is me" thing!.

And been creative making bead/crystal bead jewelery got quite a following for it,earrings and necklaces the threading helps to keep my hands nibble!.

Enjoyed reading what you all like to do :VeryHappy:

hugs to all :emoticon-hug:

Lynn

I just don't seem to have the time or energy for any hobbies right now. Mind you, I've got 3 children under the age of 10, and although I'm not currently working (lost my job), I'm working towards getting back into full time work.

But I've been kind of thinking about soap making, in terms of crafty soaps (like colours and swirls and shapes and stuff). So if I were to start a new hobby, that would be it.

I used to cross stitch, but that takes up so much time to finish a project, and I think it might hurt my hands and fingers if I tried it now. But maybe one day I'll try that again.

I also like rollerblading, but I don't like going out in the winter, so maybe once summer rolls around again...

Hi all,

I will look into the Terra cotta sculpture, but will have to wait, my hubby says I start to many things at once :).

As for the Mandolin I have just started to learn to play so not ready for any demo's yet, but hopefully soon. I have a big problem with learning to play anything, although I played violin/fiddle for over 8 years I never learned how to read music, just couldn't get my head around it so I learned to play by ear. Which is all good if you have someone to play something for you first :). Been on the look out for instructors in the area, and also found some decent sites on the web that I am using. Just started on some new medication today that is supposed to help my hands, so I am hopeful that it will work, and I won't get the hand cramps and tingling so bad. At the moment I can only play for short periods as my right hand starts to go to sleep then cramp up, it's like me can't stay awake too long :lol:

I decorated a whole cake the other day for a friend of mine, took some pictures, it turned out cute, but not quite what I was going for. But then I am my own worst critic :rolleyes: The hardest thing was I made things quite small and fiddly so will need to figure out a better way of doing things or just bigger is better maybe.

I have enjoyed reading what everyone else does on this thread and the other thread, we are a creative bunch!

CHeers

Jean

Oh and I forgot, Jeannie another thing you can do is make your own paper, it is very easy to do out of old fabrics! A good use for all those old clothes that are not good enough to pass down :happy1-by-lisa-volz:

Cheers

Jean

Hi Jean,

Our old clothes (blue jeans) are in the process of being woven into rag rugs! All those different shades of blue - very pretty~

I do have all the kit I need to make paper, but that's a warm weather hobby. I think this year I'll try putting some flakes of dried flower petals into the paper. I've planted a rose for every family member and most of our closest friends and I've been thinking about making pages for a photo album, matching the flower petals in the paper to the person the rose 'belongs' to. Could be lots of fun.

Hugs,

Jeannie McClelland

(Retired) ISN Director of Support Services

(Retired) ISN Sclero Forums Manager

(Retired) ISN Blog Manager

(Retired) ISN Assistant News Guide

(Retired) ISN Artist

International Scleroderma Network

I thought I would jump in because of how much I need hobbies to guide my days. Before my symptoms became so intolerable I used to go to the gym 6 days a week, teach art, music and ballet. I loved playing the piano. Gardening was such a pleasure. Forward six years later, most of those activities are limited if not extinct. So after much feeling sorry for myself, I figured out things that I could do and have found a nice balance. I go to the Ballet as often as I can. I paint on days my hands feel ok. I read ALOT. I try to cook. :wacko: I love to walk, even if the distance is short. I get together with friends (especially those with scleroderma) and we laugh! It is funny how I used to take my activities for granted but not today. I feel fortunate to be able to do those things that I can. :happy-day: -Ann

It sounds like you have found away to work around your condition Ann, and the rug making sounds interesting Jeannie. I am going tonight to sign up for my cake decorating course, really excited about it!

I am also working on losing weight, I have lost 3 1/2 stone so far, and in American that is 49 lbs, am munching on a nice salad as I type. I can no longer exercise like I used to as the new meds I am on make me really dizzy, so I found a DVD that has exercises from your chair, and surprisingly they give you a very good work out, although I think I over did it yesterday, my neck and shoulders were killing me all night :emoticon-bang-head: . I have a little pedal bike that I use for lower body work out. I like to play on the Wii as well and that gives you the unknown work out, cause you are having fun then realize you are all wore out and sweaty. I have been told that I may be getting put on some steroid medication and am more than a bit worried as I have read and been told that they make you gain weight. My appointment is the end of March so am working hard to get as much weight off as I can by then so I am prepared.

I have been attempting to garden for the last two years, but I seem to get really nice plants but then nothing, I got some tomatoes last year but they never did turn red. And the one strawberry I got, when I picked it I found that it had been eaten all but the top by snails :rolleyes: Giving it a go again this year, perhaps third time is a charm!

Jean

Hey, I did it! I have 6 little rice bowls with 'things' steeping in them to see what kind of color I can get. There are 3 different kinds of green tea (all looking quite different in the leaf), a bowl of ground pomegranate seeds that were dried first, and 2 bowls of a blueberry/acai tea - one in water and one in alcohol because I read somewhere that alcohol will extract blue colors better.

Mando, I'm not ready to dye yarn yet, but if I get anything good I'll let you know and maybe we can work out a swap. I'd really like to get into this this summer.

I promised my hubby a beef curry for supper tonight. I just hope he doesn't come home and think all the little bowls are the 'side boys' and start adding them to his plate! :lol:

Jeannie McClelland

(Retired) ISN Director of Support Services

(Retired) ISN Sclero Forums Manager

(Retired) ISN Blog Manager

(Retired) ISN Assistant News Guide

(Retired) ISN Artist

International Scleroderma Network

Ha!

Jeannie that is funny!

I'm looking through recipes to find something for dinner tonight. I'm off to the grocery store to find basics and then something that is different. The kids complained that I'm fixing the same every week, so I've found a good source for easy recipes and I'll have to try them out.

Often I just make up recipes with what I have on hand. It is so much harder to get organized before going to the store so I end up with the right ingredients.

I haven't been able to sew or play fiddle lately. We spent Saturday plumbing in the new shower in our master bath.

Make sure to set your dyes with vinegar or salt bath after you get the color you want.

Lori.

I am attempting to make my own caramel tomorrow, I love the stuff so thought I should just make my own. Been doing that a lot lately, made a batch of pickled garlic, hot pickled carrots, and some Honeycomb. The pickled items are ok, but are missing something just have to figure out what. I added dill to the garlic but I can't taste it, and it said to boil the garlic in the jar after sealing and I think that was a mistake cause now the garlic is cooked and too soft, I wanted crisp garlic! So will try again and tweek things, the carrots turned out nice, they are supposed to be like the pickled carrots you get in Mexican resturaunts in the States, but they are a tad spicey hehe. The honeycomb or Hokey Pokey turned out lovely, but I can't make it too often cause I just sit and eat it all :rolleyes:

Jean