• Announcements

• Joelf

Upgraded Sclero Forums!   05/18/2017

Welcome to the Upgraded and Redesigned Sclero Forums!!   Our Forums are even better and more up to date than before.   Happy Posting to all our Members!!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vanessa

Starting Chemotherapy

29 posts in this topic

:emoticons-group-hug:

Cheryl and Vanessa, Best wishes for a speedy recovery! :emoticons-group-hug:

miocean

ISN Artist

I went throught 6 months of chemotherapy with stem cell transplant for Burkitt's Lymphoma 8 years ago.

I had projectile vomiting once - and was very careful to insist on a good dose of anti-nausea medication before the particular drug after that. There is very little notice before one of these episodes, unlike typical nausea.

Chemo levels were, much, much higher than given for sclero or post-transplant treatment. Example: methotrexate treatment later requires "rescue" drug (leucovorin). Other than bone marrow, the immune system is largely wiped ought. To prevent infection, I took antibiotics, anti-virals and anti-fungal medication until white blood cell numbers rise to normal. In addition, it was necessary to avoid sources of infection - other people, animals (don't get near a cat box), dirt (avoid houseplants) and especially, don't eat anything that isn't cooked.

I found the periods after the chemo worse than the treatment. As the effects become manifest, I had what I think of as "feeling like I'd been run over by a truck".

I recall 2 GCSF drugs: "neupogen", used to stimulate the bone marrow to produce white blood cells and procrit to stimulate red cells. Neupogen may require pain medication when the bone marrow starts working. The pain is in the lower back.

Craig

Thanks Craig

Yes I have been injecting myself daily with GCSF. I am going to have some bloods taken later to see if that has helped as today is day 10.

I normally run on a very low leukacyte level and had problems when I was on Cellcept because of this.

Before I started the chemo my WBC was 3.4

I do wonder though how these stimulant type drugs will affect my Scleroderma.

Just have to wait and see I guess.

Thanks for all the feedback

Vanessa

Hi Vanessa:

I had breast cancer and went through surgeries and treatments 8 years ago. I was diagnosed with scleroderma almost two years ago.

Yes - you can do it.

I was so thankful for my wonderful doctors, new treatment therapies and medications.

Today I am maintaining my health and starting a new life over in a warmer place - California.

Best wishes and warm hugs to you.

Kay Tee

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0