Sclero Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Shelley Ensz

Holiday Tips for Chronic Illness

In hindsight I would also like to add to stick with the food program that works best for you as much as you can during any holiday or event. The "special treats," whether it is food or drink, can wreak havoc with you physically and emotionally, especially with an illness.

Too many sweet treats for me. I look at them now and have absolutely no interest. Good thing I gave (almost all) the cookies I made away and others were able to enjoy them. :D

miocean

ISN Artist

Hi Miocean,

Oh you are so right about keeping to a food program during the holidays.

I sure don't recommend this for others, as it is not my mission to destroy all the joy in life!, but I've found out the hard way that it is best for me to go into the holidays planning to *not* diet with the start of the New Year. Planning on a New Year's health and fitness kick seems to give me permission to overindulge a bit. Whereas, if dieting is simply not an option, it seems to tame my consumption and keep me focused on healthier options as much as possible. Besides, with chronic illness, those health and fitness kicks don't seem to work so well -- or even not at all -- anymore, just disrupting everything from sleep to pain levels for me.

Amanda, I also agree about sleep. That's a major reason we are very careful to keep our holiday activities extremely light. The best gift we can give ourselves is the time to recuperate so that we can enjoy the company of others in a halfway decent frame of mind. "Less is more" is the concept that gets us through this season in one piece. We pick just a few choice things that give us holiday cheer, and we intentionally skip all the rest, with no guilt and no wishing it was better or different.

If health challenges have taught us anything over the years, it is the amazing power, and freedom, of very carefully defining what "enough" is, and reveling in that, and that alone. "Enough" helps us realize how very blessed we are with the things that really matter, our friends, our loved ones, and all of our precious companions in Sclero Forums. And severely editing our list of enjoyments gives us so much more time and energy to enjoy the few that really matter to both of us.

May your holidays and new year be filled with "enough", but most especially with enough time to rest, relax, and refresh!

:emoticons-group-hug:

Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz

Founder and President

International Scleroderma Network (ISN)

Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

Oh I love everyone's ideas! I have turned into a minimalist decorator during the holidays too. I use the cards I receive in the mail and hang them on a ribbon strung across my picture window. Sadly this year I only received 3 cards! Compared to the 50 or so just a few years ago - might have something to do with the fact that I didn't send any out - my gift to myself. Although I usually love writing a holiday letter, taking a photo of the boys and making a card, I let this tradition slip away 3 years ago when I was feeling stressed and overwhelmed. Makes me sad but it did get expensive too when I found myself sending out 70+ cards!

I have a fake tree and hate putting it up and taking it down each year. It takes me an hour just to fluff the thing! I think I'll just put it in the shed all strung up with lights and decorated. How easy would that be to just pull it out next year and plug it in? Ha!

I hope everyone had a peaceful relaxing holiday and wish everyone a happy pain-free and prosperous new year!

Take care,

Barefut

Serena Justis

ISN Blogger

Hi Barefut,

One year, back when we had a holiday tree, rather than put it away, I moved it into our bedroom. It made for very pretty soft mood lighting and it was great fun to wake up to a decorated tree every morning.

Isn't it amazing how just a tiny bit of seasonal decorations can get the whole point across? When we started simplifying our lives, instead of continually and compulsively complicating them, at first we felt a little abashed when we realized how much money, time and energy we were putting into things that didn't really make any difference in our actual happiness or satisfaction.

I hope you don't feel too bad about the lack of holiday cards. I think people are going to email so much that they hardly even have anyone's snail mail address handy anymore.

:emoticons-group-hug:

Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz

Founder and President

Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

Sign in to follow this