Sclero Forums
Clementine

Food Getting Stuck In My Throat

Thanks everyone, this information is so valuable. Oddly enough, I don't have any problem swallowing chocolate, ice cream, anything sweet. :)

Jennifer

Just want to put it out there my life experience which includes bouts of food getting stuck in my throat.

I'm a 40 year old male with a history of acid reflux since mid-teens.  Ups and downs with heartburn; anxiety; feeling off into my 30's.  It finally got to a point where it was a task to function normally at which time, among other things, I was advised to visit a Naturopathic Clinic.  Here I was that I was highly allergic to gluten - at the time I didn't know what gluten was!  My wife was starting an elimination diet around the same time which I also took part in and over time felt better.  It can take up to 3 weeks for gluten to completely leave the body.  As soon as I tried re-introducing gluten again - back came familiar symptoms.  

So I've been gluten free for 5 years with no heartburn; regular digestion; zero brain fog; no dysphagia; no anxiety - overall great feeling.  It is a big adjustment switching your diet and I do cheat from time to time with some of the above symptoms creeping back again which keeps me in check.  I'm not saying this is the fix for everyone but it definitely was for me.  I only wish someone had told me about it earlier.  

Also, discovered in my 30's that I love coffee, but coffee does not love me!  Hard on my digestion which affects me overall.  I try and stay away from it as much as possible.

All the best!

When I was first diagnosed, I had a lot of problems with reflux, difficulty swallowing and food getting stuck in my throat.  The swallowing problems actually turned out to be related to the drugs I had been prescribed for my imaginary problems and went away when they realised that the problems weren't imaginary after all and stopped the drugs that they gave me for them.  Omeprazole is really helpful with the reflux, though reflux can be exhaberated by caffine, alcohol, nicotine and spicey foods.

From digestive perspective, I've also noticed that physical exercise can be beneficial to the overall function of the entire digestive tract.

I am back.

I also get most anything that can go down my throat and at times it tries to go into my lungs; lucky it does come out with a lot of chocking and coughing .My pills come flying out; my son and I have learned to laugh and say that was a good shot! All the joking aside, it scares me.

It helps to sit up for a half hour after I take my medications and also sleeping at a 45 degree angle.  It was a little hard at first, but I got used to it.

The scary part of this is when they did the upper GI my throat did not need to be stretched. The muscles are not working right.

Have a great New Year.

I almost forgot, I told my doctors they are not going to get rid of me that easy! :wink:

Hi Quiltfairy,

It's great to hear from you again and I'm wishing you a Very Happy New Year.

:happy-dance-line:  :happy-dance-line: