SCLERO.ORG
Sclero Forums

I was diagnosed a month ago  with sine. SCL-70 was positive. Positive ANA and Anticentromere.

My new doctor just did a Scleroderma panel on me and now a month later my lab results just came in.  SCL-70 is negative. 

Only ANA and Anticentromere is positive. Does this mean I’m no longer sine? Does a SCL-70 have to be positive for a sine diagnosis? I got the results online but it’s after hours for my doctor to respond.

Hi Beckybee,

Please keep in mind that I have no medical training at all and verify everything I say with a reliable medical source. You know, like, your doctor. 

It's my understanding that scleroderma is diagnosed based upon symptoms, and not blood work.  The blood work only serves to confirm the clinical diagnosis that was already made; the blood tests themselves do not make the diagnosis. In other words, to the best of my knowledge, it's impossible to be diagnosed with scleroderma based only on a blood test (in the absence of pertinent symptoms.)  And, the Anticentromere antibody is pretty specific to scleroderma, too. 

About 20% of blood test results are erroneous; plus there are different ways to run these blood tests, and varying levels recognized as positive by different labs.  So it is not the least bit unusual to see changes in antibodies.  Basically, once I was diagnosed, the antibody panels pretty much became a thing of the past because doctors treat the symptoms/illness as it develops and changes, and not the antibodies. 

I'd also like to warn you -- chin up!  It is entirely normal to have all sorts of differing opinions and diagnoses with scleroderma, some or even much of it depending on the expertise of the doctor.  That's why it is pretty much imperative to see a listed scleroderma expert.  

:hug-group:

Hi Beckybee,

The problem with blood tests is that they can vary a lot each time; as Shelley has advised, they can show up different readings each time they're taken, which is why we always advise that they're only a small part of the diagnostic process and should be taken in conjunction with the clinical symptoms.

This is why scleroderma can be diagnosed and then rediagnosed again, which is extremely frustrating. Certainly I would advise you to contact your doctor when it's possible and go through the results in greater detail with him.

Kind regards,