Sclero Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cde311

Autoimmune protocol diet/ CBD oils/ GERD

Just curious if anyone was successful with this diet and was able to fine tune what worked for them. 

Also CBD oils working for symptoms (I have joint pain) and GERD? I really trying to focus on healing my gut and I know it will be hard with the damage already done. 

Thank you

Hi Cde311,

As it happens, we always recommend that people consult their scleroderma expert regarding diet and lifestyle changes.  It's not as straightforward as the internet might suggest and scleroderma can pose complications to standard health advice in many ways. 

The autoimmune protocol can be difficult or nigh impossible for many people to follow, even for a short time (but I've followed it briefly, here and there). It also might not be necessary or necessarily helpful; so discuss the pros and cons and any concerns with your expert. 

The thing is, we often try to tweak our diet, unaware that leaky gut can also be worsened by poor sleep, stress, gut bacteria, too much OR too little exercise, alcohol, drugs and even toxic relationships. Looking beyond only food to balance our entire life can also be very helpful with autoimmunity. 

And there's the perennial pitfall with scleroderma, in that, our immune systems are already in overdrive, and not under-drive (like AIDS). Sometimes an ill-advised health kick -- which might be very good for any healthy person -- can lead to strengthening our body's ability to attack itself.

Going on a high protein diet, for example, may stress scleroderma kidneys which are already vulnerable to sudden failure. Many diet changes can worsen pre-existing problems with esophageal and bowel problems.  Such as, increasing fiber can lead to potentially fatal bowel complications in someone who's g.i. motility is weakened from scleroderma.  That's why knowledge is power with scleroderma and it's so great you even asked about this! 

Now that we have it understood that this is not a do-it-yourself job, but rather one that we research ourselves and then work with our listed scleroderma expert on, here are some additional resources for you to consider:  Food Guide for Autoimmune Disease, Diet and Scleroderma, Endocannibinoid System (for CBD), and Heartburn/GERD

Cannabidiol (CBD) derivatives are emerging as a potential treatment for scleroderma (and other illnesses), with several clinical trials in progress.  CBD is the part of marijuana that doesn't get you high, so "pure" CBD is legal everywhere, but there are FDA warnings about improper labeling, etc. So in areas that have legal marijuana, it's best to get medical grade CBD from a dispensary. See: CBD for Scleroderma and Warnings for CBD.

The GERD link above also has ideas for naturally managing symptoms, such as how to elevate the head of the bed, which side to sleep on, etc. 

:hug-group:

Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz

Founder and President

International Scleroderma Network (ISN)

Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.