Sclero Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bluebell30

Blood Test antibodies

Early this year I attended a dermatologist for a skin problem. While there she gave a me a list of bloods to get done. She diagnosed my skin problem and I thought that was it. I misplaced the results, and have only recently  sent them back. The ANA test came back negative.

However, the bloods also detected the presence of the following antibodies; U1-RNP, SS-A/RO , SS-B/LA, Centromere B , SCL-70 , Fibrillarin, pm-scl and Ds-dna. Could the ANA result be wrong because the blood test detected these antibodies?  I'm scared about the Scl-70 and Centromere B antibodies, does that mean I am very likely to  develop Scleroderma? The only symptom that I currently have is Raynaud's.

I had this for a good few years now, but never thought anything of it. 

Hi Bluebell,

Welcome to Sclero Forums. You mentioned that the tests showed "positive", but by that do you mean they detected the presence of the antibody, or that the antibody was detected AND was abnormally high?  In other words, were those test results flagged as being abnormal? 

If so, please return to your doctor to get an explanation of your lab results. If it's just that the antibodies were present, but not out of range, that would mean the test results are normal. It's very common for antibodies to show up on blood tests; it is only when they are out of range that it can (sometimes) be problematical. 

:hug-group:

Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz

Founder and President

International Scleroderma Network (ISN)

Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.