barefut

What Is/was Your Job/career?

51 posts in this topic

I'm studying a degree in Culinary Arts at the moment, in my 2nd year (its 4 years altogether)

I'm also working in a local shop part-time, i love it there! The only bad thing is that I stand all day, the counters are too high to have a chair! :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what I want to do after college, i'll think about that another time haha :P

Louise xx

Hi all. I started out as a secretary, then a stay at home mom, then owned a cleaning company (very small but profitable!) then tupperware - these two jobs were done so I could stay home! - then when the kids got older I went back to admin asst until diagnosis in 2002. I tried part-time/disability but Rick lost his job & full-time it was until lay offs! Then I worked reception thinking it would not be so stressful (yeah, right) and after 7 months I was at home - a professional patient/sleeper for a few years! As of last year I rejoined the work force as a barista at Starbucks & really do love it, but the work is so physically demanding! I'm trying very hard to balance this with Sclero, but it sure is difficult. So that's my story! Oh yeah, cook, chaueffer and all the rest of the mommie stuff!

Soft hugs your way,

Michele

I worked at an auto parts store for 4 years. The disease hit right after my pregnancy, when I became a stay-at-home mom. I don't suppose all the silica dust in the shop helped things.. I was always in the back room while the rotors and flywheels were being turned. Are there any reports of lawsuits between employers and Scleroderma patients, or is that not even possible because there's no specific known cause? I'm not out to sue anybody at the moment ;) but I DO wonder about that auto parts store...

Elizabeth

I am a retired licensed practical nurse and have worked with the elderly most of my life...guess its time to start working with me.....lol

What did I do for approx 18yrs - well, basically I worked in Retail, worked for the same grocery chain for 18yrs - did work as a Cashier, worked the Courtesy Booth, stocked shelves, you name it, the only thing I didn't do was work in the meat/deli department - guess they didn't trust me with knives/slicers - LOL...........

Now, I'm just a wife, Mom, Grandmom................ :)

Donna

Here's another nurse. I graduated in 1976 with my associate degree in nursing. I was 20 years old. I could give patients drugs but I wasn't old enough to buy liquor.Ha! I started out working in a nursing home for 3 years and I did learn alot. I went to work in a hospital setting as a med-surg nurs for two years and them found my love in nursing - maternity nursing. I started working as a a mother-baby nurse on the postpartum unit for 9 years. From there I went to work in Labor and Delivery for 16 years. This is what I love the most to see a person take their first breath, to see life begin, to see families elated to see their new love one. A year and a half ago I went to work on our high-risk pregnancy unit with the moms who are sick with their pregnancy. Now I am the assistant nurse manager. I have worked in the same hospital going on 29 years. We deliver close to 7000 babies a year. It is a busy place. I hope that I can get better and continue to work there doing what I love. I am now in school working on getting my BSN in nursing which will be completed in 2010. :D

AHhhhhh another good topic! More fun reading for me when this class gets done!

Speaking of class... I've been a stay at home mom for the last 12 years & am now in school getting my associates in nursing. Truth be told, I'll probably never stop going to school though & just keep building on that degree as I love research & would like to be a nurse practitioner.

I went to college briefly right out of highschool but didn't go for more than a semester because I was planning to get married to who knows who someday & be a stay at home mom. I never wanted a career... I was A.D.D. & didn't know it then, so school was hard. Now that I know that I wasn't a matter of not being able to do good & that I can get A's, I love school & love the idea of a career.

Just to let you know, there's another RN on board here. I taught public school for several years, took a year's leave and never went back. Then in 03, my daughter was in college and unsure of what she wanted to major in. I told her that I was enrolling in the fall to get a RN degree. She thought it was such a good idea that she moved back home and we went through the program together. Such fun! We even work at the same hospital, although I'm only able to work a couple of days a month in the ER. I do love it! Sadly, my daughter is moving to another state in July as she and one of the residents are engaged. I'm happy for her but I'll miss her terribly. Anyway, I have 3 other sons age 31, 27 and 16. My husband is terrific, a writer, and in a couple of years we will see what that empty nest feels like.... Bittersweet I imagine. I don't make it to the boards much, but it's so nice to know you are here, and I'm not alone.

My goodness what a clever lot you are. I must be pretty boring because other than numerous hobbies I've only ever had one field of expertise and even that is debatable!

I was a print finisher/ bookbinder for 22 years, owning my own business up until the year 2003. I worked most of my time in a factory environment with 8 other girls. I was the practical joker of the pack. In 1996 I started my own business in print finishing employing 4 girls, after a long recovery from pneumonia and other strange illnesses.

My hobbies include: Rebuilding our Farmhouse/cottage. Making and decorating wedding and occasional cakes, learning the greek language, co-presenting on local radio, writing, drawing

cooking, keeping chickens, geese and goats, stay at home mum, wife and all round domestic queen -- just kidding!

Right now I intend to rebuild the family tomato business but that is a little while in the future.

Sorry to disappoint you guys!

Best wishes

Barbara xxx

i went to nursing school through a B.O.C.E.S. program in my high school, then Iworked as a long-term-care nurse for 17 years, when I could no longe work I applied for ssd and was approved my first try. With my ticket to work from ssd, I went to school and got my degree in criminal justice, little did I know the only thing I could do with that was be a police officer or guard,; that was a waste of time. I went back to school and got degrees as a medical administrative and a legal administrative assistant. There was no way I could keep up with these young whipper snappers, I admitted I could no longer work and quit after a few months. Now I do rerlative care for my mentally ill son.

I am an attorney who practiced, emphasis on the past tense, family law (divorce, custody, paternity, child support, etc...) for many years. After my second child I had severe fibromyalgia and since I was a single practitioner I closed my practice and became my husband's "back office girl" doing the time keeping and billing functions for his law firm. I have flexible hours, can also work from home if I need to and often come into the office with my husband. That way I do not have to drive 40 minutes in and out of the office which makes it easier if I am particularly exhausted at the end of the day.

I also taught knitting and design in the evenings before my second child was born, but had to stop when the fibro was particularly evil because my hands just could not take the grasping the of the needles or the repetitive motion for long. I miss the court room and have kept my license active so maybe someday I can get back to my profession, but right now I do not have the stamina to work everyday and do not feel that it would be wise to undertake a case load and not be able to service my clients on a full time basis.

Smurfette

Chocolate, It isn't just for breakfast anymore!

This is an amazing group of people - what a 'fun' family we are!

I have a business degree from a big 10 school in the midwest where I met my husband (25 years Aug. 27th!) but after graduation we couldn't find jobs so we moved to Phoenix. No friends, no family and unemployed - we actually had so little we moved by UPS (23 boxes!).

I worked for 10 years as a Controller for a manufacturing firm - 60+ hrs/wk. When our son was born he developed severe asthma at just four months. My employer was a second generation all-male company. The only women employed were secretaries - except me. Needless to day they didn't understand when I needed to stay home with my little guy. Just before my son was three I quit to start my own company. Fifteen years later I still own/operate a small nanny/baby-sitting agency with major corporate contracts and four office employees. We all work out of home offices and are mothers.

Working from home has been ideal for me as I first had fibro and really haven't been 'healthy' for a long time.

My son leaves in three weeks for that same big 10 school in the Midwest - we will miss him terribly and are not ready to be empty nesters but I'm sure we'll survive this too!

Shari

Shari (AKA Mutsy)

Hello!

I graduated from college with a degree in Elementary Education. From my experiences in my senior year in college doing 12 weeks of student teaching, I knew I would never actually teach. It is bad when 7 year olds can make an adult woman cry!!

After college, I took a job as a secretary for the State, then during a recruitment process, won a place (15 spots out of 400 applicants) in a computering programming school sponsored by the state. I became a computer programmer in 1990, left state employment in 1995, had my daughter in 1996, then stayed at home until 1998. In August of 1998, I began contracting in computer programming under my own small business corporation. After 9 of the longest years of contracting, stress in the IT field, exhaustion, and stress of carrying a beeper, I decided to quit in October of 2007, to take a mini-break. I got sick and bedridden for 5 months starting in February of 2008, so as of this time, still not working.

It's okay. My favorite career has been "Mommy." And...my proudest part of it all is being a single mom and doing it ALL on my own.

Janet

wow...I'm well impressed by all you guys, :rolleyes:

I've read through the posts and thought about what I'd like to say; at first I was thinking I've done nothing like you guys, but had a very hectic life. At 16 I left school and become an assistant in a cafe, got married at 18 had 2 kids then decided to go to college to become a deaf welfare social worker. I was told that I wouldn't make it -- silly me, I listened and gave up. (I lacked a lot of confidence,) I passed all my stages I needed, then I went on to have another 3 children. By then I was a single parent to 5 kids, one with ADHD, so I become his carer. I fought the system for 12 years to get it recognised and eventually I won. ;) I worked in the blind society, I also worked with terminally ill people who were deaf and blind, I worked for a place of worship visiting deaf people in homes and hospital. I worked for a spell in a deaf school as a domestic helper for the teacher and after doing that I worked in domestic violence signing for deaf women, and also support in a group for women in or had been in domestic violence, all voluntary.

I cared for my mum who died of cancer and dad before he died, then I was dignosed with systemic sclerosis. I am now carer for my younger son who lost all his hair and has now been diagnosed with anxiety and depression, because of the bullying he has suffered. I still care for my son with ADHD, but it's much better theses days, so to say I've done nothing is an understatement, hahaha, so my job now is a full time carer, ;) when they're not caring for me I care for them.

Hope I haven't bored you guys too much but I am being honest, hahah

warm hugs to you all jaxsxxxx

live life for today and not for tomorrow

Hello, friends.

I am a group exercise/fitness instructor and personal trainer, and have been in fitness since 1982. I remember when people would call us "health nuts." Little did they know. My sclero has forced me to retire from personal training and my strength and cardio classes. I am grateful that I can still teach Yoga, although it is difficult for me to perform all of the positions the way I used to. It is a gentle Yoga, so my students are sympathetic and understanding since they are requiring modifed poses as well.

I used to teach 10-12 classes a week and train over 20 clients. I miss them dearly.

Kind regards,

HONEY