Sclero Forums
Peggy

Social Security Disability Approved!

Great News................I just got a telephone call from Social Security that my disability application for Social Security has been approved!!!!!!

I just filed in December and the fact that it is already approved is great. I am thrilled but I also wonder just what there is in my medical records that got this approved so fast. I am just thankful being I haven't been able to work and to have this go through is a big relief. I also know there are a ton of people who have to go trough multiple appeals. So my advice, don't hesitate if you are unable to work because of this nasty disease to try and get disability. Sclero is listed as one of the diseases that should be approved due to the nature of the disease.

Warm hugs from Minnesota.

Peggy

Hi Peggy,

I am so happy for you. My experience with Social Security was similar to yours. My Social Security Disability was approved the first time and only took 1 1/2 months.

I am not recommending anyone try this on their own. Most should not even start the process (at all) until you have talked to a disability lawyer.

However, our experiences were unusual, and I believe there is something to be learned from them.

I believe the key is to get your doctor(s) to take the time to do their reports correctly including your scleroderma diagnosis. This is very important because sceloroderma is on the Social Security Disability List of diseases that are presumed to be disabling, so the process for approval is faster (the handbook that is used to approve claims is on their website at http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10029.html). Also, make sure to provide them copies of your medical records.

I bought a book written by a lawyer that explained what information was required and even provided forms. After gathering the required information I applied on line at http://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps6z/ISBA/main.html

I had one in person interview. I received my approval a month and a half later.

I believe that my approval was fast because I applied on-line, provided all the necessary information, and because scleroderma/systemic sclerosis is on the "List of Impairments that describes medical conditions that are considered so

severe that they automatically mean that you are disabled as defined by law".

Hope this helps others who needs to apply.

Ron

Updated 8/10/07: Mixed Connective Tissue Disease (dx 03/2002). Diffuse Scleroderma, Dermatomyositis.

Hi Peggy~

That is WONDERFUL news! I am really happy for you. Hopefully things are changing with the approval process.

Take care and stay warm,

Michelle

I do believe this is a record and I still can't believe it. Does anyone know when a person can get on Medicare? And if so, is a person with sclero better off on Medicare and a Medicare Supplement than they are being on say thier husband's major medical insurance like I have now?

Thanks and warm hugs from Minnesota.

Peggy

Dear Peggy,

That's great! Thanks for keeping us informed and inspired. My question is, can you work part-time if you are on Social Security disability? I don't know that I'd want/need to not work at all, I'd like to have the option. What do you know/think?

Karen

Congrats!!!

Peggy that must be a huge relief for you! As for the insurance you would have to compare the ebenfits and see which one is best for you. Iahve Medicare A only and I am covered by my husband's insurance too. It was much cheaper and better coverage this way. Look over the benefits carefully.

Hugs,

Lisa

Lisa Bulman

(Retired) ISN/SCTC List Coordinator

(Retired) ISN Sclero Forums Assistant Manager

(Retired) ISN Assistant News Guide

(Retired) ISN Fundraiser

International Scleroderma Network (ISN)

I guess I can work but I'm not able to earn more than $605.00 a month. If I do then that nullifies and you have to pay it back and I assume you would no longer be on disability. I guess they allow you to work a little in case you are able and you want to get out. Right now I'm not able to work at all but it's nice to know if down the road I am able that I can do something small.

Does anyone know when you can get on Medicare and how soon?

Warm hugs from Minnesota.

Peggy

Peggy:

To get the Medicare, I thought you had to be on SSI. It was explained to me that you couldn't have more than 10,000 in the bank to quality for SSI.

I applied for SSA, which does not include Medicare as far as I know. If you find out, let me know because if approved and put on COBRA, that runs out at some point and costs big bucks.

Tru

It is what it is...........