Peggy

Red Marks On Face

21 posts in this topic

Snowbird: " Someone on this site said once that if you press on them, they fade/turn white I think...." Is that right?? I'm definitely going to try that. I have a colony of them all over my face, also have them on my neck, chest and hands. My dermatologist reccomended vitamin K cream which I have been using religiously for almost 2 months and I don't see any difference. The sun definitely makes them worse so try to stay out of it as much as possible. At worse, they are just a nuisance but nothing to be concerned about IMO. I use a green concealer stick under my makeup and it seems to hide them pretty well. I did mention laser treatment to my dermatologist and rheumatologist but they both kind of blew it off, as if it won't work on them.

Karen

I've had limited success with laser treatment for telangiectasias. They are definitely less noticeable.

The doctor uses a laser that is focused on the exact area, and looks sort of like a pen. It is more commonly used to treat caplillaries that come to the surface with age.

It is very rare for any doctor to treat this - mine was the only case he had ever seen. You will probably know much more about telangiectasias than he/she will! I went for three treatments. We found it was necessary to use a rather high setting for the laser, since telangiectasias are more difficult (your doctor probably won't know this).

I would not want to get anyone overly hopeful, since these sort of things can work different for different people. Also, I'm a 53 year old man, so I'm not all that demanding! (five years ago, when undergoing cancer treatment, I was quite happy to lose [what little was left of] my hair - one less thing to worry about!)

If interested, I can provide the website of my doctor. Since it is unlikely that others would be living nearby, they probably would not see him - but the site has information on he type of equipment he uses, which might be helpful tracking down a doctor.

Craig

Hi. This is actually my first post. I registered a while ago and some day will get around to introducing myself.

Anyway, I just wanted to comment on the "if you press on them, they fade" comments from Snowbird and Karenlee. I've recently experienced some come-and-go red spots on my face and, when I asked my rheumatologist if they were telangiectasias, he picked up a glass test tube and rolled it gently but firmly across my face. After he confirmed they were indeed telangiectasias, I asked him why he had used a test tube, and he explained that they do disappear when pressure is applied but reappear the moment the pressure is released ... hence you need to press with something you can see through. Clever!

Judith

Hi Judith

Welcome, nice you joined us. I didn't know about the tube, but it makes good sense...I found it hard to tell sometimes because my finger was in the way (not see through!)... :lol:

Karen, you're right, that's it!!

Mine come and go...and sometimes they come in little red army groups too.

Sending good wishes your way!

Hi folks. I saw my Rhumetologists new assistant yesterday. He suggested that the Plaquenil will help somewhat with the telangiectasias. That's the first I heard of it helping that. I am sceptically optimistic. Anyone else on Plaquenil notice it helped with that? I would love to know.

Thanks.

Karen