Sclero Forums
omaeva

flesh loss?

My doctor told me I was losing flesh from my fingertips, especially those that get affected by raynauds the most. They are just really flat on the tips and I always thought it was from pressing too hard on my pens and pencils :unsure: . Can anyone explain how that actually happens? I haven't been able to find anything on this site, maybe I'm not looking well enough?

Hi there,

I don't know the actual mechanics, but it's happening to me too. I can see where the skin is kind of pulling away from the nail on some fingers. Ask your doctor, he/she should be able to explain. I think it's the loss of blood flow, after awhile the vessels actually shut down and no blood gets delivered. Usually it results in gangrene, but maybe this is a lesser (thankfully) form? Maybe it's LESS blood flow instead of NO flow? Maybe someone else will know..mine are also tender and sometimes numb. Hope you're well today.

Peace,

Karen

Skin actually pulling away from the nail? As painful as that sounds that's interesting. Mine is more like the finger pads are disapearing

Hi Omaeva, I have lost the fat pads from some but not all of my fingers, It was one of the criteria on which I was diagnosed with SSc. I actually think they had been like it for a long time , but I never really gave any though to why some fingers were elegantly tapered at the end! I had noticed though that I was having difficulty opening the thin palstic bags that you put veggies etc in at the supermarket - I assume that was why. I think that it is just lack of blood supply to the fingertips that causes it.

They don't really seem to have got any worse over the last 2 years since I was diagnosed, but do tend to get a bit sore.

Lizzie

Hi Omaeva,

My fingers still have the pads, but I've lost the ones from my feet. Sometimes it feels like I'm walking directly on bone. I now chose my shoes by the amount of cushioning the soles give, then add a sheepskin liner for a bit more softness under foot.

They seem to call this 'pulp loss' and I've done a Google search looking for cause, but didn't have any luck either. Curious~

JJ