tintin

Cholesterol and Plaquenil

6 posts in this topic

I just got the results from my annual physical. This is the first physical I have had since I was diagnosed with CREST. With all of the bad news this year it was really nice to get some good news. My cholesterol was 218, which is the lowest it has been in 10 years, additionally my HDL and LDL were both in the normal range. I can not remember a time when my HDL and LDL were in the normal range, probably a good 30 years ago.

The only new medication on my list is Plaquenil, does anyone know of a connection between Plaquenil and cholesterol.

keep on smiling

crawler

I did also start taking Turmeric recently and I have read that there is some weak evidence that it may have an effect on cholesterol. It just seemed to me that the anti-inflammatory effects of Plaquenil would be more likely.

I found a reference to its possible cholesterol lowering effects on the main www.sclero.org site:

Antimalarials

Antimalarials decrease the inflammation by affecting cells of the immune system in multiple ways. Antimalarials have been found to enter cells in the skin and protect the body from the damaging effects of sunlight. Antimalarials may have other beneficial effects, like lowering cholesterol (LDL-cholesterol) and making the blood slightly thinner by affecting certain blood cells, called platelets. 2003. Lupus Alliance of America.

keep on smiling

crawler

Hi Crawler,

Isn't it awsome to get some good news once in a while!

*WestCoast*

Hi WestCoast1

Yes it is very nice, and reminds me that things can turn around anytime for unexpected reasons.

- Crawler

keep on smiling

crawler