Guest SADIE

How many of you use a walker or wheel chair?

21 posts in this topic

I live in Virginia, USA and you can get either a "temporary" or "permanent " placard . If you are permantently disabled you can get an actual license plate with the handicap sign on it. Here you have to get your dr. to fill out a super short form and sign it and then you take it to the Department of Vehicles and get it. I have a permanent license plate. I even have a "vanity" plate (it's personalized) it is a Jimmy Buffet Parrothead design and it says "MOM2U" and has the handicap sign on it. I have had mine for about 8 years now. I, too get the nasty looks when I park in the handicap spots. I will be 50 this May :P , so I've had mine since I was about 42. I DON'T feel guilty at all!!!!!!!!!!!!! I KNOW how I feel and what others think doesn't concern me in the least!!!!! I have a cane that a friend made for me and he made it out of a beautiful wood and it's got my initials on it and beautiful carved designs. I don't use it all the time, but when my knees and hips are flared, I do, because if I don't I will fall. I have also had some nasty falls. Don't feel guilty about having to use these things, cause like I said, we KNOW how we feel and we know what will happen if we don't use these things. Peace :)

Peace :)

Barbara aka relicmom1

It is hard when others don't understand what Scleroderma is. That used to happen with me when I first was sick back in the 1990's when I first started wearing gloves. Now days, I'm alot more disabled so it doesn't happen anymore. My parents and I now days tell more about Scleroderma when someone ask. I've had to give more info on SD to my home health nurses because they don't hardly see Scleroderma patients. My Mom has even collected some of the calcuim pieces in a little box that has come out of my skin to show the nurses and others who want to know more about Scleroderma. I know that sounds strange but it has given them a better idea of what Scleroderma is doing to my organs.

Sadie

Thanks Mary

You are right indeed and thanks for the encouragement. I dont always feel that confident to confront these things, but I know me, one day it will just hit and the right words and reaction will just come out ;) .

Sadie...its so awesome that you are asking these questions, we would never know these things about each other, otherwise. And the purpose of this forum is for support and to not feel so alone, it is definately working! Thank you :)

Take care all

Susannah x

MaryFanPhilly:

Ah, if all we had to do was worry about how far in line we are and who is getting ahead. They have no idea how lucky they are to be able to wait in line, to stand for long periods, to endure the cold...........

I'll trade my spot in line (my illness for their health), if they feel somewhat cheated.

Linda

Tru

It is what it is...........

I love the looks I get from people when I pull up somewhere and park my cute little jetta in a disabled parking spot with my music booming and head bopping to the music.

I'm lucky that I have an oxygen tank that goes with me everywhere now. so I don't get many looks anymore. But I used to get a lot of them.

I don't need a walker or wheelchair, or cane yet. Some days I wish I had them when I was out with my family/friends shopping or such. but don't very often go out anymore cause of this.

Hope your all well!

Hi Linda,

That's another good answer... I'd gladly trade with you for the chance to stand outside in the cold! The things people take for granted. Sarah, don't avoid going out if walking is a problem, all malls and museums have wheelchairs for rent, usually all you have to do is leave a driver's license. There is NOTHING to be embarrassed about. In fact it's great cause you get to carry all the packages for your family and friends. Most durable medical equipment stores also rent wheelchairs by the weekend or by the week or month. Don't let the disease control YOU and YOUR LIFE. You have a life to live first and foremost. It's your right and privilege to live it despite whatever bumps are in the road. So get out to the mall and get some cute (but sensible) shoes girlfriend!!!!! Love, Mary ps I hope you're head boppin' to Bon Jovi 'It's my life, now or never, I ain't gonna live forever. I just wanna live while I'm alive!'

Diffuse sclero; diabetes; hypertension; GERD with Barrett's