Guest Sadie

What were your first symtoms of your illness when it was starting up?

21 posts in this topic

As a kid I always had raynaud's and facial/hand/feet swelling. Then 2nd year in college I developed severe tiredness, then calcinosis, and ulcers, this year telangiectasia. I think I'm starting to have some tummy issues but that's not a definite yet.

My first system was pain in the knees and weakness in the knees. Simultaneously I began to experience reflux and had trouble eating and holding down food. Shortly thereafter I started experiencing joint and muscle pain throughout my body and horrible fatigue. I would come home from work and go right to bed. Interestingly, Raynauds came much later for me but eventually showed itself in full force.

In 1998 I had a finger joint that would be "frozen" in the morning and hurt like the dickens. The dr did an xray , which was normal, and ANA, which was Sky High, Sed Rate was Sky high. That started the diagnostic journey for me. I was 40 at the time. But when I think back, I've always had the Raynauds symptoms since I was a young teen. Also had extremely painful knee joints. So I often wonder if things were starting back then.

Peace :)

Barbara aka relicmom1

Most definitely my first symptoms were Raynaud's and finger ulcers. But, I was always cold, always. Brrrrr...

I was diagnosed when I was 12, but had the disease for several years before that.

Hi Sadie ,

This is interesting how everyone is different in their initial symptoms!!!

Gareth's first symptom was the esophageal dismotility and 10 lb wt loss. Immediately after they found the dismotility, they did blood work that came back positive for sclero. Withing a month after the esoph stopped working, he went downhill fast with restrictive lung problems, losing his voice, more wt loss, and major fatigue. Although his hands were cold, they weren't diagnosed of Raynauds because there was no color change and his capillaries were normal.

Take care, Everyone.

Margaret

Thank you for your replies! Boy, everyone's Scleroderma started out different. I'm still learning stuff even though I've had Scleroderma for a long time.

Sadie PS- I live in SW Ohio and it's in the 70's here. Yeah!!