• Announcements

• Joelf

Upgraded Sclero Forums!   05/18/2017

Welcome to the Upgraded and Redesigned Sclero Forums!!   Our Forums are even better and more up to date than before.   Happy Posting to all our Members!!
Leslie R.

Depression

28 posts in this topic

Hi Leslie,

I am so sorry you are having this bout of depression. I remember back in a huge flare up in February, I just felt so depressed. I didn't even want to get out of bed. I just wanted to stare at the wall. No energy, on prednisone and it wasn't working very well and just had no interest in anyhthing. I had never felt so at the bottom as I did then . Yes, I think it is the disease that changes us and does mess with our minds.

So to come out of it takes time and patience in letting ourselves understand we are not going to feel well for awhile and take on small projects not big ones. That has been hard as I am a project lover and always tackled things head on. I guess watching my mother fight this disease for so long and never giving up and when she feels better, she gets right back in there and fights for what she wants to do in life. my parents have taught me alot. They both have autoimmune problems and yet they have had great fulfilling lives. Anyway I didn't mean to ramble.

I hope you find a way to get some meaning back as you feel better. Be good to yourself. Susie54

Hi Leslie,

I've been on a "sabbatical" for several months now for the exact reasons you brought up in your original post. I thought I had been dealing with being diagnosed with several different auto immunie diseases rather well. I have always been the strong, capable person who managed to deal with and cope with everything well.

Guess what? After building up for a while, it all came crashing down around me in January. I have been taking effexor XR for about a year and a half because my neurologist recognized my depression back then. I now have psychiatrist who handles that end of things. In February, I started working with a therapist. Fortunately, we hit it off from our first meeting. It is the best thing I have done for myself.

I can only speak for myself, but I have not regretted making these choices. I wish you the best on this road or any other you might choose to help you come to terms with the hand you've been dealt.

emmie

I'm sorry to hear so many have to deal with depression on top of everything else. I had dealt with it in the past at one point, early 20's, but lately I feel just plain old angry & some depression because of how unpredictable & unmanageable my body is... If it is cold, then I can't get warm, if it is muggy & hot, then my fingers all stick together & I swell up & my joints ache from all the pressure. Sometimes I am so tired I could cry, other times I'm fine, sometimes my arms work, sometimes they don't, sometimes I can smile, sometimes my mouth is too weak so my mouth trembles when I smile!

Add to that I don't have an official diagnosis (I don't think, although the radiologist today came in & said, "Scleroderma huh?" when preping me for barium swallow).

Anyways, I'm glad you came in to say hi & let everyone know what's up, everyone here is so kind & caring, it has been a great support to me. I have felt so alone with this at times but I come here & suddenly I'm surrounded by people who care & understand. Hang in there & stick around when you can! (((((HUGS)))))