Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
summer

Splinter Haemorrhage?

6 posts in this topic

I have just noticed that I think I have a splinter haemorrhage in one of my nails.

I have read somewhere on this site that this relates to the heart, but cannot find any information. Could one of the moderators set up a link for me somewhere?

Many thanks

Celia

Hi Ced, I get splinter haemorrhages all the time- is unusual for me not to have them . You can get splinter haemmorhages if you have bacterial endocarditis (a heart problem) but think they are probably very common in people with SSc.

Lizzie

May I ask, what are splinter haemorrhages? I've heard of them, just don't know what they are.

Thanks,

Sherion

Hi Sherion. splinter haemorrahges are tiny blood clots in the small capillaries under the fingernails. The're tiny thin red lines initially but then fairly quickly become a black / brown colour and look just like wood splinters. You can get them anywhere on the nail, mine mostly appear in the middle portion of the nail and they eventually grow out with the nail. My Rhuematologist always looks to see the number of splinter haemorrahges I have, can tell how severe my raynuads has been!

Lizzie

Lizzie, thanks for the info. I had never heard of splinter haemorrahges.

Christy

Love makes the world go around!

Thanks, Lizzie!

I sometimes have the black lines that look like splinters, never had the red lines. I've always wondered what they were.

Sherion