• Announcements

• Joelf

Upgraded Sclero Forums!   05/18/2017

Welcome to the Upgraded and Redesigned Sclero Forums!!   Our Forums are even better and more up to date than before.   Happy Posting to all our Members!!
Guest Soaring Eagle

PSS & Sjogren's

54 posts in this topic

Hi, Jensue!

It sounds like we use a lot of the same strategies. I had the same issues with regard to feeling like my oral structures were all glued together. But, my doctor started me on evoxac (can I name the med?) and it really helped. I still sip fluids all day and I go through about 48 ounces of water in a 90 minute class. Gum helps, too. What level did you teach when you were still teaching?

Soaring Eagle

This is a very valuable thread.

I had my second Schirmer's Test today and I've actually improved in two months just from Restasis and natural tears. I still have some room for improvement. My eyes feel so tired, dry and gritty. Even the natural tears during the day haven't helped completely. At least they no longer look bloody red.

I've been researching Sjogren's but still have so much to learn. I see my rheumatologist soon so we'll definitely discuss it. I've not even been officially diagnosed but the doctor today reiterated he strongly suspects it is Sjogren's. At this point, I am not really sure which symptoms I have are sclero and which are Sjogren's.

The doctor said to try flax seed oil and to wash my eye lashes with diluted baby shampoo. I'll pass on the latter. I have enough wrinkles as it is.

How does Sjogren's and GERD relate, or do they? Does anyone know if Cellcept helps Sjogren's? I want to be able to ask my doctor intelligent questions. What should I be asking? I'm not seeking a lip biopsy. No way. I get enough of those from my doggy Max when he tries to kiss me.

Thanks,

Clem

Soaring Eagle I use gum but while in school I couldn't use it because it was banned for all pupils to have gum in school so would not have been good for me to be seen using it. I did drink lots but it is so difficult when you are trying to talk to children.

I also find I get a lot of mouth ulcers particularly on the inside of my lips which is very painful while eating certain types of foods and never seem to find anything that really helps.

I had been teaching children aged 10 & 11 but have also taught 11- 16 year olds, I do find it easier now I'm not working because I don't talk as much ;)

Jensue, I'm lucky that I teach at the university level because I don't have to teach in the classroom all day long, although I do talk much of the day. But, it's easier to talk in an office than a classroom! I can't imagine having this and trying to teach in elementary or middle school! I don't know how you did it!

I was getting a lot of sores in my mouth and my dentist prescribed a couple of mouthwashes that really helped. Have you seen a dentist about your mouth sores? Mine has been very helpful. He also prescribed a cream to put on my lips when I get sores on them. It usually clears them up in about 35-48 hours.

Clem, I didn't have all the mouth sores, burning mouth, or dry eyes before I had the Sjogren's, so I am attributing those to the Sjogren's. The symptoms I can't separate are the joint pain and GI issues.

Soaring Eagle