• Announcements

• Joelf

Upgraded Sclero Forums!   05/18/2017

Welcome to the Upgraded and Redesigned Sclero Forums!!   Our Forums are even better and more up to date than before.   Happy Posting to all our Members!!
Sam

RE: hand pain

28 posts in this topic

Honey, I'm so sorry you're having all these problems. Do you have a good rheumatologist who's keeping track of what is going on?

Best wishes and warm, but gentle, hugs,

Jeannie McClelland

(Retired) ISN Director of Support Services

(Retired) ISN Sclero Forums Manager

(Retired) ISN Blog Manager

(Retired) ISN Assistant News Guide

(Retired) ISN Artist

International Scleroderma Network

Thank you, Jeannie, for your concern.

Yes, I believe so. My orthopedist recommended her to me, even though she is 30 miles away rather than the 2 that practice out of our local hospital. He believes she is the best locally. I trust him. She diagnosed me as soon as she saw me from the condition of my feet and the contractures in my hands & knees, but of course, she had me go through blood tests (turned out normal levels), xrays, and echo. She prescribed prednisone immediately, and in the 2 times that I have seen her since, prescribed methotrexate (MTX) and neurontin. No side effects yet. I am grateful for that.

An echocardiogram turned up hypertension, so I am seeing a cardiologist who performed an electrocardiograph in his office. Turned out pretty good, but in reading the echo himself, he sees some minor mitral valve leakage. He can't be sure if it is caused by the scleroderma or not, of course, unless he does some catheter-based procedure. He doesn't think it immediately necessary, and I am going to see him in 2 months, keeping him advised if I feel more fatigued or short of breath. My heart rate was 55bmp before the sclero, and it is now 80 and over.

There is new mercy for me every day, and with grace we will all be stronger and more healthy. I read on another post that happiness and pleasure is a path to successfully living with our physical struggles. Dennis Waitly said, "Happiness cannot be traveled to, owned, earned, worn or consumed. Happiness is the spiritual experience of living every minute with love, grace and gratitude."

All seasons are beautiful for the person who carries happiness within.

Kindest regards,

HONEY

Sam,

I am new to the Scleroderma diagnosis. But I was diagnosed with Antiphospholipid Syndrome (APS) six months ago. I find your question interesting. I have been having the same numbness and tingling at night and I was writing it off to the APS. APS can have multiple sclerosis (MS) like symptoms so I thought I was dropping things and getting clumsy due to that diagnosis. Thanks for your post, everyone has given me lots of food for thought.

One day at a time,

Seton