GocartMoz

Nupragen Shots And Hickman Central Line

23 posts in this topic

They say the third time is the charm, Dave. Let's hope that's the case so you can leave Thursday. Good Luck!

emmie

Dave,

I feel your pain and am thinking only happy thoughts for you! You are one step closer to recovery!! We will get you a teeshirt that says "i survived my SCT" or better yet "I'm well - how about you?"

My insurance company is asking me for more bloodwork to make sure I am not HIV positive or a cocaine addict! I also have to provide a doctors statement saying that I am mentally competent to have a SCT. What nonsense -- but I am jumping through the hoops -- hopefully for a positive approval.

In the meantime, stay calm. Think of that beautiful florida weather. I was just there this past weekend -- I ran away with my daughter -- rented a convertable -- collected seashells and pretended everything was fine.

Courage,

Gidget.

Well I hate to say it but this trip has not turned out as I hoped, but I know things will look up in the future. When I went to my extra day of pheresis on Wednsday(thd day I was hoping to be home) my heart rate jumped to 161 and my blood pressure dropped to 75/55. I was light headed and dizzy and I was taken to the hospital. They did a procedure where they stick a scope down your throat to look for clots and if there are none they convert you by shocking your heart back into normal rhythym. Because of the lab work, the doctors at first were concerned I had had a heart attack, but they later confirmed I had not. They did, however, do a heart cath to make sure my heart was strong enough to go through the transplant process. Thankfully, the heart cath showed nothing, so the transplant is still on. I was released from the hospital on Friday. Unfortunately, however, they only collected less than half of the stem cells needed for transplant. I was hoping I could complete the process while I was up there, but it couldn't be worked out bcause of schedules. I returned home Saturday and will be returning tentatively the 10th to complete pheresis. Just a bump in the road. The transplant looks like it will take place in March now as opposed to Feb. Like I said, just a bump in the road. To top it all off, my 15 1/2 year old Yorkshire Terrier passed away while my wife and I were at Duke. I felt so horrible for our kids having to go through that without us, but thankfully their aunt was with them. More updates to follow .

Dave

Hi Dave,

That sounds more like a near-death experience than a little "bump in the road" to me. But it is probably your manner of taking things in stride that will pull you through the whole transplant procedure.

I'm sorry your transplant is delayed, but at least it has not been cancelled. I'm sorry about your dog passing away, too. It sounds like a tumultuous time, but your flexible attitude will go a long ways towards making the very best of all situations.

Warm Hugs,

Shelley Ensz

Founder and President

International Scleroderma Network (ISN)

Hotline and Donations: 1-800-564-7099

The most important thing in the world to know about scleroderma is sclero.org.

Dave

First off--so sorry to hear about the passing of your dog. We have always had animals and I know how sad losing a "family member" can be. I am sorry for the timing too.

Second--I am also sorry for your little bump in the road. I do feel that everything happens for a reason (I know this statement will anger some) and that this glitch will be just that.

All of us here know that life is not a gentle road!

You have an amazing attitude and outlook--it will get you thru!

Thinking of you

Mimi

Hi Dave,

As always, thanks for the update. As you know we are all watching you closely and eager to hear how things are going. I am sorry to hear of the latest setback, but glad it wasn't a heart attack and that they can still go through with the transplant. I hope you are feeling better and when you go back on the 10th, things go well.

Your attitude is amazing and I am sure it will see you through a lot of things.

Warm wishes,

Heidi

Dave,

Hang on, Dave. Roller coasters are always wild rides! Hugs to you and the kids...losing the family dog is always so, so tough.

Get rested up for the next "thrill ride"!

xoxo emmie

Dave,

I am so sorry to hear about your terrior but it sounds like you have amazing kids. I am sure you are happy to be back at home. And you are right -- when it is all said and done, this extra trip will be just another "bump in the road" and maybe having the SCT in March is even better as it is after cold season. All the best to you and your family.

Regards,

Gidget